Deans Veto Rules On Club Members

Watson and Joint Committee Begin Battle on Girls in College Groups

Associate Dean Watson yesterday tossed back a set of counter proposals to the Student Council on the position of Radcliffe women in Harvard extra-curricular organizations.

Earlier this term, a joint Harvard-Radcliffe committee had set up a series of standards for College clubs, which, except for a provision that there should be no more than 20 Radcliffe girls in a College organization, left restrictions about Radcliffe membership completely up to the Annex administration or student council.

Dean Watson's regulations, which are a result of a Faculty Committee on Student Activities meeting May 5, represent a reversal of the council's laisses-faire policy and, D. Broward Craig '50 commented, seem anxious to insulate Harvard from an over-infiltration of women.

On a motion by J. Tillman Hazel '51, the council voted unanimously to return to Watson its own proposals on the issue together with a brief to document the advantages of its position as against the proposals of the Faculty Committee.

Specific Points

Specifically the Faculty Committee's new regulations declare that Radcliffe students may be members of College groups only if 1) the organization is of "departmental" (such as the Biology Club) or "social interest" (such as a drama club); 2) if there is no counterpart at Radcliffe; and 3) with the specific approval in each case of Harvard and Radcliffe authorities.

Membership, the rules state, is understood to be equal status and eligibility for office.

All organizations which have Radcliffe membership, the rules continue, must have the words "Harvard-Radcliffe" in their names.