Cragg and Harris to Serve on Truman Economic Sub-Panel

Charles I. Cragg and Seymour E. Harris '20 have been appointed members of a seven-man committee to advise President Truman's economic council on measures to combat New England's unemployment problem, Leon H. Keyserling, chairman of the council, announced yesterday.

Harris is professor of economics, and Cragg serves as professor of economics at the Business School.

The organizational meeting of the committee, which Cragg will chair, will be held in Boston tomorrow. The final report to the government is expected by August 1.

The study commission will "analyze a selected number of specific issues crucial to the promotion of economic stability in New England," Keyserling said. A careful study of this area, one of the "soft spots" in the national unemployment setup, will aid the government in coping with unemployment elsewhere in the country, he added.

Specifically, the committee will look into the possibility of stimulation of new industries and further development of existing resources. Problems of transportation, electric power transmission and labor mobility, will receive special attention.