Labor Dept. Finds Jobs Scarce for '50 College Grads

Good job opportunities for June college graduates will be scarce, a study by the U. S. Department of Labor reports. In certain technical fields such as Chemistry, prospects are good for men with postgraduate work, but in these fields men with only a bachelor's degree will run into stiff competition, the survey finds.

Even in the largest single career field open to college graduates, management and operation of business firms, all new positions will be hotly contested. The 1949 decline in business activity and the fact that the wartime deficits of administrative and professional trainees have now been made up create an especially tight situation for those seeking to enter the business field.

An example of a particularly over-crowded field is that of newspaper reporting. Last year there were three times as many journalism graduates as there were in any of the years immediately preceding the war. This year the number will be even higher. Yet, the openings in daily papers are declining.

Poor Uncle Wiggle

Prospects for would-be-news hawks are brightened somewhat by the fact that fields such as advertising, public relations, radio and book publishing will take in greater numbers of men with journalistic training and experience in the next few years.

In the natural science fields backlogs of research projects postponed during the war have created job shortages, but the college graduate does not generally have sufficient training to take advantage of opportunities in these fields.