The Messy Exams

Five years of back exams are now neatly piled along two walls of a room on Lamont Library's first level. Unless this reading period differs enormously from previous reading periods, within a week the back exams will be distributed on the floor of that room.

Whether justifiably or not, the College gives a lot of weight to a student's aptitude for compressing his term's worthe into a blue book's worth of knowledge. This stress on exams means the student should get a chance to find out what may turn up on his exams; to tailor his work towards the type of questions which previous exams have turned up.

This is hard to do when exams are littered together on Lamont's functional floor. There is no excuse for the confetti appreach to storing the exams; the library people could do any number of things to change it. Exmas could he bound in hard covers and chained down to the shelves. One complete set of last year's finals could be placed under glass in the library's display cases. But unless somebody does something about them, in a few weeks Lamont's exams will effectively supply material for nothing more than a small bonfire.