Kirkland Clinches Straus Trophy On Baseball Victory Over Eliot

Kirkland definitely clinched the Straus Trophy yesterday by beating Eliot in baseball, 3 to 2. No matter what the outcome of the remaining softball game and golf match, the Deacons will have at least a six point lead on second place Lowell.

The baseball victory snared fourth place in the diamond league for Kirkland. Lowell still has to play Winthrop in golf, but even if the Bellboys win, they will only gain a golf tie with Kirkland.

Final overall point acores are still dependent on the golf match and the Leverett-Winthrop softball game today. A Leverett win would give the Deacons 1273 1/2 points; Lowell would have 1267 1/2, if Leverett loses, Kirkland would have 1271 1/2 points, Lowell 1262 1/2. These totals will be increased slightly by the addition of the golf points.

The Deacons had to clinch the cup the hard way, as Eliot's George Plimpton limited Kirkland to three hits, but was the victim of shoddy support. Jim Gabler, Deacon workhorse, allowed only four hits in receiving credit for the win.

After John Pankey had scored Kirkland's first run on poor Eliot fielding, the Elephants counted twice to go ahead. Jim Holmes knocked in the tying run on a long double, setting the stage for the Deacon's winning rally.

Pankey singled, stole second and third, and second on Frank Nolan's hot smash to third.

Softball Results

In the other House baseball game, Winthrop's last Straus Trophy hopes faded completely when Adams came from behind to tie the Puritans, 4 to 4. Bill Goodman, Gold Coast catcher, singled home the run that gave Adams a dead-lock. Both pitchers, Rog Davis of Adams, and Mel Zurier of Winthrop, went the distance.

The Leverett softball team staged a last inning rally, scoring six runs to topple Eliot, 9 to 8. Jim Ross, Bunny ace, had to come on in the late stages to preserve the win. Major Close and Harry Giles paced the Elephant attack, Close walloping a big home run.

Chuck Brynteson pitched Dunster into at least a tie for first place, setting down Winthrop on five hits as the Funsters won, 5 to 1. Dunster bunched three hits for three runs in the second inning, and added two more in the fifth to sew up the game.