New Book Enters College in Boston 'Heresy' Dispute

The University will be openly dragged into Father Leonard Feeney's dispute with the local Roman Catholic hierarchy Monday when a book on the case will be published.

Entitled "The Loyolas and The Cabots," the book is by Catherine Goddard Clarke, President and instructor of Theological History at St. Benedict Center. Father Feeney is Chaplain at the Center.

According to a brochure sent out by the Ravensgate Press, publishers of the book, Harvard plays an important part. The work contains a complete history of St. Benedict's from its inception to last October when Father Feeney was dismissed from the Jesult Order. It also explains the views Father Feeney and the members of the Center hold which have embroiled them with Archbishop Cushing.

Harvard is mentioned in this brochure in connection with Jesuits taking courses at the College, "Resignations from Harvard and their repercussions," and "Harvard and Archbishop Cushing."

By resignations, the book presumably means those students who joined the faculty or undergraduate body of St. Benedict's Center subsequent to their leaving Harvard.

Archbishop Cushing was not available for comment yesterday and none of the priests contacted were willing to make a statement on whether or not Roman Catholics would be allowed to read the book.

It was generally felt, however, that the current work will come under the class of matter for the individual conscience.