THE MUSIC BOX

At Symphony Hall

By Brenton WELLING Jr.

For the first time in years, the Glee Club has presented a novel Spring Concert. Unfortunately, far too small an audience was present at Sanders Theatre for the highly interesting evening of ancient and modern music. Rarely has the music of Hindemith been as enjoyable as it was last night and rarely has there been as impressive a performance of the work of Heinrich Sehutz.

To see and hear Paul Hindemith conducting is unforgettable. His "Apparebit" for mixed chorus and brass choir is a study in modern music; it was excellently executed by the Glee Club and Choral Society. The "Demon of ht Gibbet," a ballad for men's chorus, was beautifully terrifying. And when the composer turned around on the podium to lead an audience participation tribute to Mrs. Elizabeth Sprague Coolidge and to "Frau Musica." Sanders Theatre became animated with three part canons.

The soloists in the first part of the program, did everything that was asked of them. If plain song gets a little boring to an untrained ear, it nevertheless events a truly pious mood, and Paul Tibbetts, Robert Beekwith, and Robert Gartside joined with Conductor Woodworth and the chorus in a polished presentation. From 17th century plain chant to 20th century linear counterpoint, the Glee Club and Choral Society showed what a fine musical organization can do.