Polk, Skinner Top '51 Council Ballot; '52, '53 Pick Five

William Roe Polk of Fort Worth, Texas, and Winthrop House and David Cameron Skinner of Lansing, Michigan, and Winthrop House won election to the Student Council last night as representatives from the Class of 1951.

Roy M. Goodman, present Council treasurer, failed to gain re-election; he trailed Skinner, who polled 160 votes, by 14 ballots. Five hundred fifty-nine juniors cast votes in the election.

In the sophomore race, Chase Nebeker Peterson of Ogden, Utah, and Winthrop House and Richard Totten Button of Englewood, New Jersey, and Lowell House, both Council incumbents, ran away with the election, polling 70 percent of the class vote. Peterson and Button early reached the quota, 204 votes, which guaranteed election under the preferential ballot tabulating. Seven hundred twenty-two voted.

Thomas William Hoya of Milwaukee and Weld Hall and Richard Eugene Johnson of Galesburg, Illinois, and Matthews Hall won the freshman election. Hoya reached the quota of 170 votes--out of the 675 cast--shortly before the runner up. Richard Lyman Bushman of Portland, Oregon, and Weld Hall won the third Council post.