Freshman Nine Will Meet Strong Exeter Team Away

Exeter will take on the freshman baseball team today in a game at the Academy. The Red and Gray will field a team which Coach Gordon Benn calls "our best in recent years."

Yardling coach Dolph Samboroski will counter with his best pitcher, lanky Bob Ward, whose record for the season is three wins and one loss.

Exeter has won three games this year, while losing one. A key to the all-around excellence of the Academy team is the fact that the schoolboys took all of the victories despite the illness of first-string pitcher and captain Dean Harrison. Harrison, a righthander with a live fast ball and sharp curve, was out with arm trouble and respiratory ailments.

Benn expects the Harrison will be ready to start against the freshmen. In case he is still incapacitated, Benn will open with Dick Strain, another right-hander who has recieved credit for all Exeter's wins.

Shortstop John Parker is Benn's best all-around player. He is a consistently good hitter; afield he covers a lot of ground and has a strong, accurate throwing arm. Parker handles himself well pivoting on double plays, according to Benn.

Bob Ory, diminutive right fielder, is Exeter's leadoff man. A difficult target at the plate, he reaches base often. His speed afoot makes him a base-stealing threat.

Batting power in the Academy lineup comes from the third and fourth hitters, Bill Wells and Bill Terry. Though only a junior, Wells has started in center field all year. He is a lefthanded, line-driving hitter. Terry, the husky third baseman, leads the club in runs batted in.

Jim Armstrong, tall Floridan, rounds out the starting outfield. Armstrong the only junior on the first team, has speed and an accurate peg.

The Yardlings, too, are strong in the outfield. Russ Johnson, Captain Bob Smith, and John Collins have played steady games in the field and at bat for the most part. Collins' hitting has, however, fallen off a trifle, so he will drop to sixth position in the batting order. Short-stop Walt Greeley, whose batting average has improved steadily, will take over the number three slot.

Samborski is not planning any more changes in his lineup other than to definitely name Chuch Wade as his starting catcher. Wade and reserve backstop Amory Hubbard have been contending for the position, but experience has given him a definite edge, accoring to Samborski.

Otherwise, Samborski is satisfied. He calls the infield "set." George Chase, Greeley, John Canepa, and Jim O'Brien have been playing as a unit all year. Canepa has, in addition, paced the team at bat with a .457 average.