Crew Working Out Daily at Red Top

Connecticut Base No Country Club With Eight Mile Morning Rows

Most of the minions of the local press, and for that matter most of the world at large thinks that the two week stint of the Harvard crew at Red Top, Conn, is something of a vacation in an exclusive country club, a vacation in which the only requirement of the oarsmen is that they keep things on the up and up by rowing a couple of miles each day. This impression is usually strengthened by a look at the facilities at Red Top, with its rolling lawn, eroquet field, and five shiny white buildings. Consequently, it is indeed unfortunate that this impression is one hundred percent wrong.

The best way to convince oneself of its inaccuracy is to spend a day with the Harvard crew, a day which begins at 6:15 a.m. At this outrageous hour the 28 resident crewmen are expected to spring gaily out of their beds and wend their way to the dining hall, where a glass of orange juice and a piece of toast is expected to bring them all to the peak of physical preparedness. On or before seven o'clock all the oarsmen are in their shells and rowing down the Thames River in the general direction of New London. All in all, they row upwards of eight miles, and then return to Red Top for breakfast at 8:45 a.m.

Exams--Lunch--Exams

After breakfast, those men who have morning examinations take them in the dining hall, under the proctorship of the resident physician, who is experienced in such things. Those who do not have exams generally go back to sleep until lunch.

Afternoon exams are given after lunch, and if a man doesn't have a scholastic obligation, he either goes back to sleep, plays a little croquet on the lawn, or tosses a couple of horseshoes. The crewmen are not permitted to injure themselves and are therefore restricted to such relatively tame activities; in any case, they have little inclination to exert themselves. A ten mile row before breakfast (when the river is calm) is generally enough to eliminate any desires they harber for violent exercise later on.

Back In Boats

At 5:30 p.m. the rowers are all back in their shells and partaking of another and more strenuous workout, a workout which includes another eight miles of rowing and a time trial, either two or four miles in length. Then comes supper, another hour or two of loitering on the lawn swatting mosquitos, and then bed. And the number of lights on in the various sleeping quarters after ten p.m. can usually be counted on the fingers of one thumb.

Up in the Yale headquarters at Gales Ferry things might be a little different. Their examination period is over before the Yalies arrive at their training base and they are forever popping down to Red Top to bleat about the weakness of their crews, and to recall the memories of the previous football season.