Year Saw Opening of New Dormitory Plus Outline for Future Expansion

The December dedication of Radcliffe's new dormitory, Mary Buckminster Moors Hall, highlighted the class of '50's final year at the college.

Completion of the $340,000 building both fulfilled a 48-year-old dream of completing the Quadrangle and enabled 70 percent of the student population to live in the college community. The 72 regular single and six double rooms house 104 girls, which this year included 30 members of the graduating class.

Fire in September

Ground was first broken for the dormitory in December '47. Almost two years of construction had John Farwell Moors' gift to Radcliffe on the verge of completion, when a fire of unknown origin burnt out an entire wing of the first floor last September 16. The girls moved in anyway, while repairs continued through Thanksgiving Day.

Phoneless and living-roomless for two months, the 104 residents managed to survive. Social life too went on, with the gentlemen callers quartered in a basement bicycle room while waiting for their dates.

Design for Future

Moors Hall is also the beginning of a new project, which when finished, will house every girl wishing to live at the college. The first of the two additional buildings which will use the Moors central kitchen is expected to go up by September '52.