College May Get $1,500,000 From Mrs. Harkness' Estate

One million five hundred thousand dollars may come to the University when the will of Mrs. Mary S. Harkness of New York is probated. Mrs. Harkness, who died Tuesday, was the widow of Edward S. Harkness, who donated over $13,500,000 to Harvard, including much of the money for the Houses.

At the time of his death in 1940, Harkness left $55,000,000 in trust for various charities and educational institutions. Mrs. Harkness was to use the interest from the money in her lifetime and could change his final allocation of funds, if she wished.

Eight Groups Share

Under Harkness' will, Harvard would be one of eight institutions to share in one-quarter of the $55,000,000. Also included in the group are Yale, the Hampton Institute, St. Paul's School, and the New York Public Library.

The University may not be certain for some time whether Mrs. Harkness left her husband's will unchanged. Mrs. Harkness, 75 at the time of her death, gave only one gift to the University in the period after her husband's death--a gift to the Law School Fund in March, 1949, to endow a scholarship in her husband's name.