Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Polio Fund Gives Money to School Of Public Health

Funds from the March of Dimes will enable the School of Public Health to continue studies in the breathing difficulties of polio sufferers for the fifth straight year. Four Harvard scientists will also use the $23,695 grant from the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis in developing new methods of artificial respiration.

James L. Whittenberger, associate professor of Physiology, heads the four-man team which has already made several significant contributions in the treatment of polio patients. The other members, also in the Physiology Department, are Dr. Harben J. Boutorline-Young, Dr. Benjamin G. Ferris, Jr. '40, and Dr. Stanley J. Sarnoff.

The latest development made by the group is an electronic device, called the electrophenic respirator, which stimulates a nerve regulating the breathing diaphragm.

While intended to serve as a substitute for the "iron lung," the respirator will not replace it, Dr. Whittenberg emphasized. The "iron lung," which is the basic instrument used in the treatment of breathing failures in polio cases, was developed several years ago at the School of Public Health by Phillip Drinker, professor of Industrial Hygiene.