Why We Fight

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

It is extremely difficult to assess the present student body sentiment on draft priorities. I hope the letter by Mr. Sawyer does not indicate a sentiment that because a man goes to one of the best schools in the county, he should be given a job behind the front lines. The only conceivable criterion for a allocating manpower, in the first place is to put trained or potential ability where it will do the most good. I am sure that Mr. Sawyer would agree to this principle. Yet, I am still uneasy about a possible common feeling that income, class, or academic background per se should determine a man's proximity to danger.

It "The Mail" section of the CRIMSON is a kind of sounding board, it might be profitable to get a cross section of university opinion on this issue of priorities. I merely wish to eliminate the most insidious element of our inevitable opportunism from a matter so vital to everyone. It is going to be extremely difficult fighting alongside these whom we consider inferior to us. Perhaps the basic issue is not priorities at all, but rather the determination of the values for which we will supposedly he fighting.

What are students thinking? D. R. Hayes '48