Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

Owen Roberts Will Open Holmes Lectures Tonight

In Langdell at Eight

Owen J. Roberts, former Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court and now Dean of the University of Pennsylvania Law School, will give the first of three Oliver Wendell Holmes Lectures on the role of the Supreme Court at 8 p.m. tonight in the Court Room of Langdell Hall.

The series, entitled "Corollaries of the Constitution: the Supreme Court's Role," will be completed on Wednesday and Thursday evenings, also at 8 p.m. in Langdell. All are open to the public.

Tonight Roberts will discuss "Sovereignty and the Power to Tax"; tomorrow, "Conflicts of the Police Power"; and Thursday, "The Fourteenth Amendment."

Evatt Gave Lectures in 1946

Given under the auspices of the Law School, the lecture series is made possible every three years by a bequest of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr, former Justice of the United States Supreme Court. In 1946 the lectures were given by Herbert Evatt, then the foreign minister of Australia and that country's representative on the Security Council of the United Nations.

Headed Pearl Harbor Investigation

Roberts, who served on the Supreme Court from 1933 to 1945, was appointed to the court by Herbert Hoover. He was selected in 1942 by President Roosevelt as Chairman of the committee which investigated the attack at Pearl Harbor. Recently, he toured the country advocating his own plan of World Federalism.