Rhubarb

At the Paramount and Fenway

By Stephen Stamatopulos

Like everyone else, moviemakers expected the Brooklyn Dodgers to win the National League pennant. In Hollywood's latest diamond ditty, the Bums not only do that, but take the World Series from their archivals, the Yankees. These wonderful but unlikely happenings are all due to an alley cat named Rhubarb.

The over of the last-place Brookynites makes the spirited cat the club's mascot in the hope that some of its fight will rub off in his lethargic team. In midseason the owner dies, leaving the t4eam to Rhubarb who, after many adventures, leads the Bums to an inevitable triumph.

Cat or no cat, it is a miracle that Miviedom's Dodgers won a single game. None of the extras could swing a bat properly, and they all insisted on sitting in their dugout while the other team was up at the plate. These ineptitudes, however, are hardly worth mentioning, because after all the show is nothing more than a delightful farce.

Ray Milland, as rhubarb's reluctant nursemaid, and his cat-allergic fiancee, Jan Sterling, go through their antics with proper levity. But Rhubarb, of course, is the best actor of all.