Traffic Board Will Consider Night Parking by Commons

A plan for overnight street parking near the Cambridge Common and playgrounds will be considered at the City Traffic Board meeting October 24 as a result of a meeting between the Cambridge City Council and the representative of the University yesterday.

When a survey on the feasibility of the proposed plan is presented at the meeting, it will mark the first time that a definite scheme to alleviate the over-crowded parking conditions in this area will have gone beyond the stage of debate in the Council.

Spaces for over 1,000 cars will be opened up if the city allows parking near the Common and other park areas. This would still not provide enough room for all student parking, however, since many of the spaces being considered in Cambridge are not within convenient distance of the University.

At the meeting Thursday, several other ideas for overnight parking were discussed. John J. Foley, who represented the Council, together with Edward J. Sullivan and W. Donnison Swan '15, proposed to allow parking on one side of streets less than 30 feet wide. No action was taken on this proposal.

University May Find Spaces

Charles C. Pyne, assistant to the Administrative Vice-President, representing the University, also held open the possibility that the University itself might be able to find more parking space, though he said the situation now was uncertain.

Cambridge police have recently been conducting a clean-up drive against student cars parked in the streets near the Houses. The campaign will be continued until the Council takes definite action. Over 600 summonses have been issued in the last week.

Councillor Edward S. Sullivan favors towing away off effnding automobiles.