'Accidents, Impulses' Put Harvard In Nation's Press, Says Pinkerton

"The University, like the movies and politics, is one of the romantic elements of American life," writes William M. Pinkerton, director of the University News office, in the new Alumni Bulletin. However, he notes, it is subject to stereo type coverage by the press writing for the Average Man.

Pinkerton says that the press does not mention all the usual happenings at Harvard, nor all the successes of alumni. Instead the formula for readable papers is the unusual--the one undergraduate that gets into trouble while the other 4,500 sleep. The press does not note Alumni for all their good accomplishments but let anyone of the Alumni fail, and he makes the headlines.

In satisfying the demand to interest, amuse and inform such a mass public group, the press uses the name of the University not only because it has prestige, but also because it is a target for attack. Either way, the name of the University does have news value.

The name of Harvard stands for many things--endowments, buildings, schools and faculties, a business venture, and of course, students. As the news released by the News Office is usually made up of routine announcements about forums and lectures, the average reader will not bother with it. Therefore the press has to turn elsewhere to get the interesting news.

Individuals are the best source. The scientist who makes a wild statement, the undergraduate who perpetrates a nocturnal prank, the individual sports star--all these are unofficial sources, and make the best reading. And the most important idea that Harvard represents is illustrated by this--freedom of the individual to rise or fall on his own responsibility. Therefore the picture of Harvard formed by the reading public is, Pinkerton says, mainly formed by the "accidents and impulses of individuals."