Rankin Predicts House Will Pass New G.I. Bill

Special to the CRIMSON by MARK L. GOODMAN

WASHINGTON, D.C. Oct. 18--A new G.I. Bill of Rights granting educational aid to veterans of the Korean war will almost certainly be passed in the next session of Congress, Representative John E. Rankin (D.-Miss.), chairman of the House Committee on Veteran's Affairs, told the CRIMSON today.

Earlier, the University submitted recommendations to a Congressional committee headed by Representative Olin E. Teague (D.-Texas), which is currently investigating abuses of the old G.I. bill. No action will be taken until after Congress hears the Teague report. Rankin said.

In a significant departure from the old measure, the new bill would pay for only a part of a veteran's schooling instead of aiming at giving him a complete education. Teague disclosed last night.

"Skullduggery and Crookedness"

"No one dreams how much skullduggery and crookedness we've unearthed in our investigation of the old bill." Teague said. "The only way to safeguard the program is to have the veterans police it themselves. This they will do only if they share the cost."

Teague has sent questionnaires to schools all over the country asking for suggestions, and has in the course of a year's investigation accumulated mountains of material. "We hope to draft a bill," he said, "which will serve veterans of all future wars as well."

Book Allotment Abused

One of the sources of most flagrant abuse, the committee found, was the government's obligation under the old law to buy all books and supplies authorized by a veteran's school. The new bill will probably authorize a fixed monthly sum for subsistence, books, and supplies.

Three veterans bills incorporating many of the provisions of the old legislation were introduced into Congress last August but have not been acted upon. Under the old G.I. bill, service in the armed forces after July 25, 1947, is not considered for educational benefits.