University to Construct Communications Center

WHRB Men to Do the Wiring; Connects Boston FM Station To University Lecture Halls

A University-wide broadcasting network will soon connect campus buildings with each other and with the Lowell Institute's new FM station, WGHB, it was learned yesterday. A high fidelity telephone cable has already been set up between WGBH's studios in Symphony Hall and the Busch Reisinger Museum of Germanic Culture.

Cables will eventually spread out from the cellar of the Germanic Museum to all the important buildings in the University. This will have to be done piecemeal as the necessary materials are either scarce or under government priorities.

WHRB will also get a separate cable direct to Symphony Hall, which will permit trading of certain programs. William Lamb '52, Augustus Fabens '53, and David G. Kaye '54, all of station WHRB, will do the technical work on installing the cables.

The main control room, through which all broadcasting must go is in the Germanic Museum and will be connected with the buildings through the steam tunnels.

Broadcast Lectures

The network system has five uses. First, it permits public broadcasting of endowed lectures and of music concerts open to the public. No regular courses will go on the air, however.

Secondly, it will permit instructors in one building to make rapid use of phonograph records stored in other places such as Lamont's Woodbury Room. The records can be broadcast.

Third, it will eliminate the problem of an overflow audience at popular lectures or concerts. The overflow can be moved to another auditorium and the program can be broadcast to them. Finally, the Communications Center will provide the University with quick communication in case of emergency.

Sanders Theatre, New Lecture Hall, Lamont Library, and Payne Music Hall will be the first to receive cables.