Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

LINING THEM UP

It's a Long, Long Trail

By George S. Abrams

Cross country coach Jaakko Mikkola hasn't yet seen his team in action but despite this handicap, the harriers are already on their way to a successful season. Bill McCurdy has been acting head coach since Mikkola was taken to the hospital for an emergency operation a week before the first meet. Even in Mikkola's absence, the team has finished second to Rhode Island in its opening quadrangular meet, and last week defeated Boston University and Brown in Providence.

Far and away the outstanding man is six foot three inch Captain Dave Gregory, who has proved that he can run successfully against the best in the East. Gregory finished first in both the all-University and quadrangular meets and last week lost to Brown's Walt Molineux by less than a foot. "He has improved tremendously over last year although he was number one man then. He can always be counted upon for the first or second spot," is the way McCurdy sums up Gregory's performance this year.

Following Gregory come Dave Cairns and four outstanding sophomores, Hal Gerry, Emil San Souci, Hugh Maguire and Bruce Phillips, Cairns has been bothered by injuries but his Brown performance indicates he should be able to stick close to Gregory in the remaining meets.

The sophomore group has been providing the necessary depth, with Gerry moving into the team's number three spot on his outstanding Brown performance. San Souci was freshman captain last year and Maguire was top miler and 880 man on the '54 track team. Phillips has been a surprise, particularly because a heavy lab schedule leaves him little time for practice.

Behind these men are two other seniors, Clarke Cogs shall and Steve Sharp, and four more sophomores, Al Joyce, Leo Carroll, Al Mann, and Dinny Engs.