Amen

"There is evidence that some persons and groups in authority in our government are unable to tolerate criticism. This is manifested by the smear tactics and propaganda techniques now being used to silence any critics . . .

"We . . . pledge to the American people that we shall fight to guarantee that, in the difficult days ahead, no man's voice shall be silenced.

"We shall vigorously resist any attempt to conceal the facts from the American people. We shall defend to the utmost the fundamental right of free, unlimited discussion of controversial questions of government.

"We shall rally to the defense of any person against whom reprisals are directed as a result of the exercise of his constitutional right of freedom or speech.

"The issue involved is paramount. The voice of the people must be heard."

(Signed by twenty-five Republican senators--Welker, Cain, Schoeppel, Knowland, Martin, Mundt, Ferguson, Jenner, Watkins, Flanders, Butler, Dworshak, Kem, Bennett, Dirksen, Brewster, Wiley, Capehart, Young, Case, Bridges, Hickenlooper, Bricker, Carlson, and Joseph R. McCarthy of Wisconsin.)