Lowenstein Slated For Induction at Army Base Today

Varsity football captain Carroll Lowenstein reports for induction at the Boston Army Base this morning. His only chance for deferment lies in ankle and groin injuries which, according to Coach Lloyd Jordan and University doctors, are bad enough to warrant delaying induction.

Jordan, who has offered the captain an assistant coaching job upon his return from the services, has been the object of criticism recently for neither helping to get Lowenstein into a reserve unit for holding him out of the last two games to preserve his eligibility for the time of his discharge. The coach explained his position last night.

"In my opinion," Jordan said, "in a time of any form of national emergency, no one--4 F's, students, or athletes--should

be deferred from induction. After the Army has taken a young man, they can then make the choice as to whether or not he should be sent to a college for a technical training.

"I've talked this over with Carroll. It certainly wasn't my place to try to have him deferred. If he is honestly deferred because of his aggravated ankle and groin conditions, public opinion will be bad enough.

"In the same way, I didn't feel it was my position to keep Carroll out of the first two games. (Lowenstein has participated in three seasons of varsity football, and has used up his eligibility.) A boy who returns to college after two years of military service should be primarily interested in finishing his education.

"But Carroll is not wealthy, and would probably want to keep in touch with athletics in his college. So, if the Army takes him, I would be glad to have him help us in part-time coaching, when he returns."

Lowenstein showed up at football practice in civilian clothes yesterday afternoon. He said that he felt, at present, that he would like to continue playing football in the future, but realized he had finished his eligibility. "I haven't heard very much about the coaching offer," he said, "but it sounds very good to me."

Jordan once again stressed the fact that, while Lowenstein's ailments could justifiably defer him, the strength of public opinion alone could force the drafting of the Harvard captain