Former Defense Department General Counsel Appointed Harvard’s Top Lawyer

Democracy Center Protesters Stage ‘Emergency Rally’ with Pro-Palestine Activists Amid Occupation

Harvard Violated Contract With HGSU in Excluding Some Grad Students, Arbitrator Rules

House Committee on China to Probe Harvard’s Handling of Anti-CCP Protest at HKS

Harvard Republican Club Endorses Donald Trump in 2024 Presidential Election

State Group Approves New Anti-Red Measure

HLU Circulates Petition Asking That Governor Veto Bill; HYRC to Decide Action Soon

The Massachusetts House yesterday adopted a measure which would outlaw the Communist Party and all organizations considered "subversive" by the courts. At the same time, the Harvard Liberal Union announced that the group would circulate a petition in the dining halls requesting that Governor Paul A. Dever veto any anti-Communist bill which passes both House and Senate.

Last week, the Senate passed a milder measure which incorporated a bill outlawing the Communist Party with one requiring college presidents to dismiss Communists from their teaching staffs and another demanding loyalty oaths of all lawyers. The Senate also suggested court action against organizations and persons advocating overthrow of the government, but did not mention Communists.

The Senate and House versions will now go to a joint conference committee to present one bill for the governor. State House officials believe that the new bill will be ready by next week, and that the Governor will probably accept it unless popular opinion is against the bill.

Walter Carrington '62, Liberal Union President, expects to get the petitions circulating by the end of the week. He said that the group will join with student groups in other colleges to circulate petitions calling for the defeat of the bill.

The Harvard Young Republican Club, which last year opposed similar bills, has not yet taken any definite stand. John Harrington 2L, H.Y.R.C. president, said that the group will decide early next week whether it will take any action against the bill.