Crime Opens Doors to Freshmen Tomorrow in Winter Competition

Freshmen will have their first chance to get in on the University's liveliest and most influential extra-curricular activity when the CRIMSON opens its winter competition for all boards at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow. Sophomores and juniors will also be welcome when the little red doors at 14 Plympton Street swing open.

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, one-time CRIMSON president, once referred to Cambridge's Only Breakfast Table Daily as "that company of happy men." This points up the fact that CRIMSON editors not only work hard, but have a good time.

Don't take the Crime's word as to its standing as a newspaper. Instead, hark to the Daily Dartmouth of March 31, 1951 which said, "The Harvard CRIMSON is the newspaperman's newspaper and the best undergraduate paper in the country. It maintains a brilliance of writing style and a technical excellence which is not surpassed by any daily at any level. Its editorial page is a foundry of ideas which radiates inspiration to bucolic journals like this."

Members of the Crime's news board cover all sports (free passes, of course) and interview University officials on Harvard policy (as James B. Conant '14 did when he was assistant managing editor). Members of the editorial board delve deep into University and national matters and come up with "eds" that members of the Administration read very carefully every morning.

Thomas S. Lamont '21 may not owe his success entirely to his work on the CRIMSON'S business board, but it helped. Business editors are part and parcel of a $100,000 going concern.

Photo editors dabble around in two darkrooms, use expensive CRIMSON cameras, and get to operate a modern photoengraving machine.