Copland Speaks on Music; Forums Tonight Debate Pacifism, McCarthy

Charles Eliot Norton lecturer Aaron Copland gave the third in his series of talks last night, on "The Creative Mind and the Interpretative Mind" before an overflow audience at Sanders Theatre. William Kapell, who was to be assisting pianist, cancelled his appearance because of illness, and Miss Reah Sadowsky and Paul E. Des Marais 1G, teaching, fellow in Music, took his place.

Copland explained that the "compulsion" of the artist to compose resulted from "his basic need to express himself." Music is universal, he added, "because the world discovers itself through its artists."

BANNED QUAKER TALKS HERE

A Quaker pacifist who was banned from speaking on the Ohio State campus last month will discuss "Power, Pacifism, and Peace" tonight in the Winthrop House Junior Common Room with McGeorge Bundy, associate professor of Government. The discussion will begin at 8 p.m.

The pacifist, Cecil Hinshaw, was kept from speaking at Ohio State by a university ruling against "Communists or members of other groups who seek to undermine the basic liberties of America." The president of the university invoked the ruling. Hinshaw has repeatedly denied that he is a Communist.

RADCLIFFE S.D.A DISCUSSION

Radcliffe's Students for Democratie Action will present a forum: "Three Analyses of McCarthyism" tonight in the Briggs Hall Living Room between 7 and 8:30 p.m.

Speakers will be Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law, Arthur Schiesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, and Francis S. Sutton, assistant professor of Sociology, Moderator will be Joseph Palamountain, instructor in Government.