Shepard Looks for Starting Team In 1st Basketball Game Saturday

Five sophomores will see a lot of action in the varsity basketball team's opening game on Saturday at M.I.T., Coach Norm Shepard revealed yesterday. In the past week, the team has scrimmaged at home and away against Rhode Island State, and Shepard has been able to decide on his first ten players, though he is not yet sure who will start.

The Crimson lost both of the 40 minute scrimmages to the fast R.I.U. team by similar ten point margins. Shepard thought the team looked worse in the second duel, however, which was played on State's narrow court immediately after a Thanksgiving practice lay-off.

Two members of last year's freshman team were high scorers in both contests, '54 Captain Bill Dennis led the team in its away game Tuesday night with 14 points, while 6'7" center Ed Boldnick scored over 20 points the week before. The other starters in the second scrimmages were varsity Captain John Stevenson and sophomore Ed Condon at the forwards, and senior Gerry Murphy at the other guard with Dennis.

Shepard was also encouraged by the early return to the team of guard Bill Hickey, who still has his arm in a support from a House football injury. Forrest Hansen, another member of last year's team, and sophomore John Culver will be lost to the squad because of injuries until after Christmas.

The other sophomores in the first ten are Ed Krinsky an Bob Gremp. Dick Lionette and Jim Urdan are also possible starters along with Hickey. Lionette has just returned to practice after having sprained his ankle before the first scrimmage.

Freshman coach George Wilson has also been experimenting with players to find the right combination before opening Saturday at M.I.T. Though his team averages 6'2", it has no outstanding tall man.