Crane Elected As CCA Leads In Cambridge

Sullivan Leads Independents; NBC Wins With Majority in Council, School Committee

The Cambridge Civic Association--non partisan reform group--seems assured of at least a majority of members on the City Council according to yesterday's preliminary tabulations.

Four CCA-endorsed candidates--Mayor Edward A. Crane '35, Joseph A. Deguglielmo '29. W. Donnison Swan '19, and Hyman Pill--have piled up enough first choices for reelection. Two other CCA candidates are running strong and may be elected. They are Councillor Chester A. Higley and Charles A. Freeman.

Voting in Cambridge is conducted under the Proportional Representation System. A total of approximately 3,700 first choices is required for election. So far, only Mayor Crane has this number, with 6.128 firsts--the highest number ever amassed in the history of Cambridge elections.

Deguglielmo Winning

On the C.C.A. side, behind Mayor Crane, are Deguglielmo with 2,104 votes, Swan with 2,100, and Pill with 2,056. These three, although not officially reelected, are expected to bring their total up to the necessary 3,700 votes in the counting today.

On the independent side, Councillor Edward J. Sullivan leads in a spectacular showing with 2,907 firsts. Observers thought that Sullivan, considered politically weak, would loose many votes because of a split home ward.

Also running strong among the independents are former Mayor Francis L. Sennott and Councillor John D. Lynch, both of whom probably will be elected with Sullivan. Two present independent members of the council, Thomas P. MacNamars and John J. Foley, have made a poor showing. Foley, however, is expected to gain when second and third choices are tabulated today.

In Boston elections, the New Boston Committee, infant reform organization, won a majority on both the city council and school committee. On the council, the N.B.C. placed five out of nine candidates, and on the school committee, four out of five.

Those elected to the Council endorsed by the N.B.C. were Joseph C. White, Francis G. Plemonte, Francis X. Ahern, Francis X. Joyce, and Frederick Hailer, Jr.

Mary K. Fitzgerald, supported by the N.B.C. and Liberal Union for School Committee, appeared at first to have lost the race, but made a sudden gain and was elected.

The triumph of the N.B.C. and Mayor John B. Hynes who defeated James Michael Curley's half century rule of Boston has finally come to an end. Curley's home wards did not come through for the veteran politician, who conducted a phantom campaign, and his once well-functioning machine failed