Deplorable

This newspaper has long enjoyed a friendly rivalry with the local humor magazine, the Lampoon. Traditionally, the two publications have, in all good fun, jibed each other, played pranks, and waged forms of minor war. But in moments of misfortune, deep-rooted sympathies based on our common heritage appears. This hour of Lampy's loss is such a time.

Four days ago, we might have believed that the persons who made off with the sacred symbol of the 'Poon--the Ibis, affectionately known as Thresky--had not known what they were about. We might have believed that the venerated old bird, blown down from his perch atop the Lampoon building, had been carried off by children or others without malicious intent.

But in the last four days, it has become obvious that Thresky's repeated public appearances have been engineered by some calculating conspiratorial group. It is absurd to maintain that a copper bird could have arranged a series of audiences with notables, or eluded pursuers unaided, Ever since what now appears to have been a wilful theft, his captors have consistently made a spectacle of the revered mascot--to what purpose, save to embarrass and distress its owners, it is hard to imagine.

Some might suggest that this newspaper could quell such exploits by denying them publicity; but that cannot be our role. We have a duty to our readers to report the news. Moreover, despite our real sympathy for Lampy, we prefer not to pass judgement on the abductors of the Ibis while they remain obscurity. That they are clever and unscrupulous, that their conduct appears reprehensible, we know; but much we do not know. Is Thresky happy with them? Is their interest purely malicious do they have a genuine affection for him? These questions are not easily answered.