Crimson Basketball Teams Split At Brown; Varsity Wins, 57 to 47

By Jere Broh-kahn

Tied 27 to 27 at the half, the varsity basketball team outscored Brown by 10 points after the intermission to win, 57 to 47, Saturday night at Providence. In an earlier game, the Crimson freshmen suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of the Bruin yearlings, 59 to 51.

In stretching its undefeated record to two games, the varsity again demonstrated a surprising first-half unsteadiness, much as they did against M.I.T. a week ago. With the shorter Brown players controlling most of the rebounds, coach Norm Shepard had to begin playing both of his big men, Ed Blodnick and Dick Lionette, at the same time, and it wasn't until the second half that they began teaming up to work the boards effectively.

Blodnick and Lionette, who played together for the first time in a varsity contest, worked very well in a shifting pivot arrangement. Blodnick was substituted for forward and Captain John Stevenson early in the first half and stayed in for most of the rest of the game. He ended up second in scoring with 13 points behind guard Bill Dennis' 14, while Lion- ette scored 11 markers.

Shepard used a zone defense for the second straight game, and it succeeded in slowing up the faster Bruins. The Brown center. Arnie Lederman, was held to one field goal by the Crimson defense, and only one man on their team netted over ten points.

Murge High Scorer

Brown sophomore Louis Murgo was that man, making it clear that his 20-point total in an earlier game was no accident. He scored 21 points Saturday on seven field goals and the same number of foul shots.

In the freshman game, Brown netted four more field goals than the Yardlings final score. Forward Paul Shaw and guard Rollin Perry were high scorers for the Crimson, as they had been against M.I.T. last week. This time they shared top honors with 14 points apiece, with identical six field goal and two foul totals.

At one point in the second period, the Crimson overcame a seven-point deflect to take a lead which they never lost afterwards. Blodnick, who started the second half to rest Lionette, and Dennis were the leaders in this rally, as they both scored several field goals on jump shots from inside the foul line.

The summary:

HARVARD (57)Murphy, if  3  2  8Stevenson, rf  0  2  2Blodnick  5  3  13Lionette, c  5  1  11Krinsky, lg  2  3  7Hickey  0  0  0Parente  0  0  0Condon  0  2  2Dennis, rg  6  2  14Totals  21  15  57