Jordan Backs Football Recruiting; ECAC Takes Up Three More Issues

He Tells Coaches Association Subsidization Is Legitimate; Declines to Clarify Remarks

Football coach Lloyd P. Jordan told the Massachusetts State Coaches Association meeting on Saturday that he sees no harm either in recruiting for colleges or in subsidization if it helps a boy obtain an education," according to Boston papers which printed his remarks yesterday.

When asked to clarify his statements last night, Jordan refused to comment and said that he would "be in his office at 9 o'clock tomorrow."

Jordan is president of the American College coaches Association, and will meet in Washington on Wednesday in an advisory capacity the Special Committee on Athletic Policy of the American Council of Education.

Bushnell Opposes Recruiting

Meanwhile, Asa Bushnell, Chairman of the Eastern College Athletic Conference, has proposed that all forms of recruiting by college coaches and all subsidization of athletes solely for athletic purposes for a vote at the Conference's meeting on Friday.

"I don't see any harm in recruiting," Jordan said in the coaches meeting. "In fact, I'd feel badly if I couldn't sell the institution for which I was working to a boy."

"I don't see anything wrong with subsidization if it helps a boy obtain an education, he continued. "What's wrong with scholarships? They give them to the band and the actors."

Sutherland Education-Minded

Jordan stated that he meant last week to emphasize the good things in athletics when he advocated greater emphasis on sports. "The main proposition should be that a boy comes out of college better than he went in. Jock Sutherland of Pitt always saw that his boys got their education and that's what all coaches should do. There is a good side to scholarship football."