Yale to Increase Tuition, Decrease Enrollment in '52

NEW HAVEN, Conn., Dec. 11--Basic charges for Yale undergraduates will be up $185 starting September 1952, A. Whitney Griswold, the Elis' president, announced today.

The new policy will mean that tuition, room, board, gymnasium, health, accident insurance, laboratory, and graduation fees will now cost $1.600 as against $1.415 this year.

Yale's move made it one of the first major eastern universities to confirm a CRIMSON story this fall that the year 1951-52 would see a round of tuition hikes in colleges around the nation.

Meanwhile, Vassar this week announced that it was adding $400 to its basic charges, bringing them to $2.000.

Griswold, in announcing the new policy, said it had been adopted "only after great deliberation and exhaustive study on the part of members of the faculty, administration, and special committees of the (Yale) Corporation.

Scholarship students, Griswold said, will get funds to meet their higher costs and students who can't meet the new fees will get help.

As a corollary to his decision, Griswold revealed that Yale will cut its undergraduate population from 4,200 to 3,800, with a ceiling of 1,025 for the freshman class.

Continuing his announcement of new policies, he said Yale proposes to raise the faculty salary scale, "especially in the lower and intermediate grades of the faculty."