Crimson Gift Suggestions

As a special feature for quite special people SHREVE'S in Boston offers this cellophane tape dispenser. It serves a three-way purpose: keeping tape at your fingertips so that it's handy when a paper rips or an envelope won't stick; acting as a paper weight; and giving your desk the distinguished air of a place where things get done well, quickly, and in style.

The dispenser is golden metal with a tooled leather strip in dark colors around the middle. Price, $5.00.

The UPPER STORY, on Palmer Street next to the Coop annex, specializes in providing gifts which are thoughtfully and painstakingly conceived as well as stunningly attractive. This tie, of French silk in subtle shades of grey, may be combined with Howe enameled cuff links for a tasteful, dignified gift to any man. The tie is $8.00, the cuff links, $6.50. Other ties go for $4.00. The shop also has beautifully designed enamel jewelry for women.

Stardy, handsome Scotch woven and leather goods are the specialty at NICOLSONS, 133 Newbury Street, Boston. Above is a Sporran bag, for over the shoulder. The shop also features the latest imported suits, capes, coats, sweaters, and jackets from the land of the moors, where fine woolen goods have been produced for centuries. The bag combines the old art of leathercrafters, with the utility of modern style. It's priced at $25.

TECHNICAL FABRICATIONS, INC., of 125 Brookline St., Cambridge, has developed all types of fibre glass fishing rods for sea and fresh water fishing.

Spinning rods, fly rods, casting rods and surf rods are included in the sample display at 50% off Manufacturers' List Price, from $3.95 up.

The one pictured above, a boat & bay rod, that may be purchased for only $9.00, would make an ideal Xmas gift.

As far as unusual gifts go, BIGELOW, KENNARD COMPANY, at 384 Boylston Street in Boston, has the unusual gift idea of the year. This pair of binoculars, strong, useful, and good-looking, folds up into its leather case to the size of a wallet. It sells for only $18.00. Also at Bigelow's is this Parker butane lighter, which will mystify friends and provide a year of lights to the heaviest smoker without refilling. It costs $12.50.

For the sportsman and the man who wants people to think he's a sportsman, these suspenders are just the thing. Here we have depicted hounds and hunters in smart color leaping over fences, and no matter where the gentleman who wears them may be, he will be surrounded with an air of the landed aristocracy. Men of distinction can buy these fine suspenders for only $5.00 at J. AUGUST, in the Square only.

Here is a perfect combination for a Harvard man or his family--your family. A cocktail shaker and glass set with the Harvard seal on the side in attractive black, gold and crimson. The shaker costs $9.00, while the glasses are $21.00 a dozen. The COOP in the Square, which is offering these gifts exclusively, also has highball, old fashioned, and pilsner glasses to match, as well as beer mugs.

Phone fumble is enough to make man curse the machine age. There is never a pad or pencil near the phone when that important call is coming through.

"Tele-pad" is the name of this item which is set in a fine leather tray, hand-tooled in 25 carat gold holds. It comes in wine, red, or brown at SHREVE'S in Boston for $5.00. The attached pencil is automatic and refill pads can be obtained.

Snow is on the ground. The sound of carols is in the air. The streets are full of tired Santa Clauses and bundle-burdened shoppers. Store stocks are getting low. There are only six more shopping days until Chirstmas.

Ordinarily this would lead the average student to throw up his hands in despair, mutter a "what's the use," and trundle home this week-end, empty-handed and shame-faced growling something about "studying too hard to buy Christmas presents. Send them to you when I get back."

But the editors of the CRIMSON, anticipating this annual feeling of hopelessness, have been shopping ever since September for you. They have picked out a series of gifts that would be suitable for a Harvard man to give to anyone that has the distinction of being a friend or relation of a Harvard man.

Thought was also given to size in the selection of these gifts. They are all small enough to fit into the corner of a suitcase.

Most of the stores listed here are the exclusive sellers of the gifts mentioned. Many stores will mail your selections to anywhere in the country.

Lyonel Feininger did this signed woodcut in 1920. It is one of a wide selection of original prints by well known artists to be found in the Print known artists to be found in the Print Room of CHILD'S ART GALLERY at 169 Newbury Street in Boston. The price range on good, original prints starts at $2.50. Many are as high as $25.00, but most of the selections go for less, as does this woodcut.

It may be inconvenient to move the Alps into someone's office, but this Alpine calendar provides a different scene from these picturesque mountains at every flick of the page. The scenes, in full color, portray the icy, aloof, majesty of the range with sharp clarity.

SCHOENHOF'S is featuring the calendar at $1.50, along with other Swiss imported calendars at their 1280 Massachusetts Avenue store. All are strongly mounted to make a handsome desktop ornament.

This is what BOLTER COMPANY, in the Square, calls the all around gift, and with good reason. These slippers can be given to mother, dad, sister, sweetheart, brother, roommate, or anyone, and will be appropriate. They are Topps lambs wool, with the lambs-wool in the inside and soft lambskin on the outside. They are light weight, warm, and comforting to any worn foot. Bolter also has a store at 15 Milk Street in Boston.

These stylish warm socks come for only $5.90 in half dozen lots or go for $2.50 a pair. This is only one of the fabulous bargains to be found at J. August in the Square. Made of cashmere and wool, here is an opportunity no one can afford to miss. To hold them up we have chosen a pair of garters that are sure to delight everyone including the frustrated mathematician. Not only are they good loking, but they will not dig the leg. They sell for only $2.50 at J. AUGUST in the Square.

Pop will up your allowance for this gift. It's smartly styled roast holder, designed to keep the meat in place while he performs his duty as head of the house and carves it up. It keeps the roast on the table, which will win praise from mother, too, who spends anxious moments watching pop try to slice the meat which is sliping around, splashing gravy all over the table cloth. A useful and handsome gift at $3.50 in The COOP.

The sweater-bar at CORCORAN'S in the Square offers the solution to your Xmas problem; the classic short-sleeved pullover in wonderful soft wool. The one pictured above is a Scotch-Nap creation at $4.95. It comes in natural, yellow, blues, green and other rich warm shades. Corcoran's also offers a large selection of long-sleeved pullovers and cardigans by famous makers. For those with more expensive tastes there are luxurious cashmeres to choose from.

Your favorite hostess will invite you to all her future parties if you give her this unique, windproof ash tray. The swept-up sides and deep dish keep the breezes out and the ashes in.

This glassware is sold only at SHREVE, CRUMP, and LOW'S at Boylston and Arlington Streets in Boston. It goes for $6.00. Shreve's invites you to come in to browse among their different items for ideas on that little gift that must be just right.