B.C. Hockey Team Utilizes Breaks, Smashes Past Crimson Squad, 5-0

By Hiller B. Zobel

Boston College spoiled the varsity hockey team's final home game of 1951 last night, whipping the Crimson, 5 to 0, in an exciting, but raggedly-played contest at the Arena.

The Eagles, winners now of six straight contests, could build up a lead of only two goals during the first two periods. But a three-minute, three-goal spurt early in the third period sealed the victory, and left Coach Cooney Weiland's team still looking for its first win.

Several times the Crimson was guilty of bad clearing. Bob Babine took advantage of one of these lapses to set up the first B.C. goal. Frequently Harvard failed to cover adequately its own zone. A miscue of this sort allowed Frank O'Grady to sink B.C.'s second tally, after a pass-and-rebound play by Joe Hosford and John Hansbery had drawn goalie Nate Corning out of the net.

Corning's play, incidentally, was one of the brighter spots last night. Time and again he foiled B.C. breakaways, besides blocking many difficult screen shots. Those three third period scores came: one, after a wild goal mouth scramble; two, after two Crimson men bumped each other out of the play, leaving Corning to face three Eagles alone; and three, after Corning had been trap- ped and pinned outside the crease, while Captain Dusty Burke tried unsuccessfully to hold off the Eagle drive.

Trading in penalties was brisk, with 14 being called. At one stage the teams were playing four-a-side, because the Crimson had been penalized twice in ten seconds for having too many men on the ice. This circus followed a third-period exchange of penalties which left the Crimson with a five-to-four manpower advantage. Then, for no apparent reason, Harvard's Dick Clasby took the ice, drawing an automatic additional penalty (served by Amory Hubbard).

But on the ensuing faceoff, the Crimson sent four skaters out again. The referees tried unsuccessfully to remove one man, then inexplicably faced the disk anyhow. The play surged for a full five seconds before the officials saw their error; but by then Weiland was changing his players "on the go." So when the whistle blew, the Crimson had not four, but nine men on ice. Another extra-man penalty finally solved the ludicrous episode