Varsity Quintet Set to Stop B.C. Game Winning Streak

By Jere Broh-kahn

Varsity basketball fans will have a chance to see one of the best games of the year tonight when undefeated Boston College plays the Crimson at 8:30 tonight in the I.A.B. The Eagles were rated 20th in the country in this year's Collier's pre-season predictions and so far have lived up to their notices by winning six straight games.

Crimson Coach Norm Shepard, however, thinks that his boys have "a fighting chance" to upset the Eagles. The Crimson won its first three games before talling to a strong Navy team last Saturday, but Shepard thinks they may very easily snap back tonight and surprise everybody.

Captain John Stevenson at forward, and guards Gerry Murphy and Bill Hickey--all senior lettermen--will head the first five tonight. Dick Lionette will again start at center, while high-scoring Bill Denn's the lone sophomore starter, will open at the other forward. Shepard expects to substitute three other sophomores on the team frequently, filling in with Ed Krinsky and Ed Condon as guards and Ed Blodnick at center.

The varsity's biggest problem will be to stop the Eagles from scoring a lot. They have a very fast team which averages two inches of height more than the Crimson. This is probably the best B.C. team in recent years, Shepard said, since it now has a skyscraper center to complement its perennially smooth squad.

Yarding Coach Floyd Wilson, who had his squad all prepared for a scheduled preliminary game tonight against the B.C. freshmen, expressed great disappointment when the Eagles canceled the game yesterday. Wilson was looking forward to the meeting as a good test for his team, when the Eagles said that they would not be able to field a squad for the game.