Army, Air ROTC Cancel All Deferment Contracts

Both Services Extend Reserve Stretch to 8 Years; NROTC Commitments Not Affected

Latest directives have nullified all previous agreements for Air and Army Reserve Officer Training Corps, commanders of the College units announced last night, and have extended the time men must serve in reserves.

The new deferment agreement contains a clause requiring R.O.T.C. men to stay in reserve outfits for eight years after they receive their commissions.

Other parts of the latest deferment agreement, which new and old men in Air and Army R.O.T.C. units must sign, showed no changes from the agreements R.O.T.C. men had signed earlier. They were:

1) To accept a commission, if tendered.

2) To serve on active duty for at least two years after getting a commission.

Colonel Charles P. Summerall, professor of Military Science and Tactics, while announcing the new directive added that he had obtained enough deferment quotas from the Army to insure deferments for anyone in an advanced course, for most in the second year basic course, and for well over 50 percent of first year men.

Earlier this fall, the N.R.O.T.C. also suddenly changed the contracts for its students by extending the active hitch from two to three years. Last night, Captain Douglas V. Gladding, professor of Naval Science said, "We have complied with all directives, and, as far as I know, we are in order."

The Army R.O.T.C. unit was substantially enlarged last year after the Korean fighting started.