Swimmers Favored to Down Lions Today in N.Y.C. for Third Straight

Columbia should be the varsity swimming team's third straight helpless victim in New York today. While the Lions have lost to Fordham, Rutgers, Brown, Navy, Princeton, and Dartmouth, beating only City College, Harvard has whipped Penn and Army decisively in its only two meets.

Hal Ulen will use the same basic manpower alignment that has taken 17 out of 18 first places so far and 10 out of 14 seconds. If the Lions get one second place today, it will be a major upset. If they win a race, it will be catastrophic.

The Crimson's major objective will be to hold Columbia to fewer than the 16 points it earned against Princeton.

Dave Hedberg will have little competition in the sprints, and Captain Bob Berke practically none in the 220-yard freestyle. Doug Kinney should have no trouble in the 440.

For John Steinhart the meet means hardly more than another pool in which to set a 200-yard backstroke record. Rene Vielman and Pete Dillingham will have clear sailing in, respectively, the breaststroke and diving.