Confidence Called Trait of Lawyer

At the age of 40, the lawyer isn't afraid of any board of directors; at the age of 50, the lawyer isn't afraid of anyone, Mayo A. Shattuck '19 told 200 prospective barristers last night at the second career conference of the term.

Shattuck emphasized that a "deep sense of individual independence and selfrespect" coupled with a life of variety and a deeper understanding of the community are among the most "precious" features of the big-city lawyer's life. He added that there is nothing like the law to give one an opportunity to express oneself.

Murder to Estates

John R. McLane, Jr., speaking on law in the small community, described the variety of small town law which can deal with anything from murder to estates to deciding the ownership of two square feet of land.

Archibald Cox '34, professor of Law, told the conference that the lawyer in government gets a much broader view of the law than does the private practitioner because he has no private client to whom he is responsible.

Livingston Hall, vice-dean of the Law School, was the moderator.