Dartmouth Beats Five, 65-61 As Four Starters Foul Out

HANOVER, N.H., Feb. 21--The varsity basketball team topped Dartmouth here tonight--but only on personal fouls. The Indians scored a 65 to 61 upset win, their second this season, while the Crimson lost its fifth straight game on a six and fourteen record.

The game was marked by 62 personal fouls, including 37 on the Crimson. Four starters fouled out by seven minutes of the second half, including Captain Ed Smith who scored 21 points. The big center was scoreless in the second period when Dartmouth overcame a 37 to 28 intermission deficit.

Boyages Leads Indians

Zack Boyages, a tricky substitute forward who hasn't started a game this year, paced the winners' splurge with seven straight foul shots and three field goals.

Dick Lionette, who was the only scoring threat for the Crimson after Smith fouled out, dumped in ten points in the second half but Boyages' layup and foul shot put Dartmouth ahead to stay at 16 minutes, 58 to 57. DARTMOUTH (65)   G  F  P Hedberg, f  0  4  4 Biggs  0  0  0 Ballard, f  1  4  6 Boyages  3  8  14 Gieg, c  8  4  20 Calhoun, g  1  3  5 O'Neill  2  5  9 Pierce, g  0  2  2 Sherman  2  1  5 Totals  17  31  65 HARVARD (61)   G  F  P Stevenson, f  0  0  0 Lionette  7  2  16 Murphy, f  1  1  3 Smith (C), c  9  3  21 Redmond  1  0  2 Gabler, g  2  1  5 Bramhall  1  1  3 Hansen  1  3  5 Hickey, g  1  4  6 Urdan  0  0  0 Totals  23  15  61

Dartmouth then took control of the game. Fred Gieg, who was high scorer for Dartmouth with 20 points, made seven of them in the last half, and Dick O'Niell contributed another seven.

Crimson Comes Close

In the final minute the Crimson pulled up when Forrest Hanson stole the ball for a layup and Gerry Murphy made a last second basket. Roger Pierce's three points with ten seconds left clinched the game for Dartmouth.

Smith made nine field goals in the first half while the Indians together made only seven to fall behind by 11 points. But the big center accumulated three personal fouls which proved costly. John Stevenson went out on fouls at 12 minutes of the half.

Jim Gabler, Bill Hickey, and Smith fouled out seven minutes after the intermission and their replacements couldn't stop the fast-breaking Indians.

Throughout the game, both teams kept running at full tilt with the result that their shots and passing fell below par. The Indians repeatedly missed easy layups. The referees seemed to be blowing their whistles almost constantly.

Crimson Comes Close