Princeton Beats Crimson in Hockey Game by One Point

By Malcolm STRACHAN Ii, Associate Sports Editor, Daily Princeton

PRINCETON, N.J., Feb 24--Captain Chuck Woeden's score, his third of the afternoon, with 67 seconds of the game to go, gave Princeton a hard-fought 5 to 4 victory over Harvard here today. It was the Tigers' first Pontagonal League win of the season and Harvard's third loss against one victory.

Wooden tallied when the Crimson defense failed to clear the puck from in front of its own cage. He streaked in, stole the disc and and boat Nate Corning from ten feet out. The losers pressed desperately for the remainder of the contest but could not beat Princeton's close-checking defense.

Hal Marshall opened a hard-hitting but cleanly played game by catching the right corner of the Princeton cage after taking Joe Kittredge's pass at 9:09 of the first period. Gene Cleaves retaliated at 13:35 to send the teams off at the intermission tied up.

The evenly-contested middle period was only 3:13 old when Doug Anderson converted Carl Timpson's pass into a 45 foot shot that slipped under the stick of Tiger goalie Rod Cole. Weeden got it back six minutes later while Johnny White was sitting out a penalty and the period ended in a 2 to 2 deadlock.

The third period fireworks began when Kittredge was thumbed out for high sticking at 5:57. While he was out, Princeton defenseman Alex Mills connected on a blue-line blast that caught the upper right corner of the Harvard nets and Weeden made good from close in to give the Tigers a 4 to 2 margin at 7:43. Thirty seconds later the Crimson pulled within one point of a tie when Kittredge took Walt Greeley's relay from Amory Hubbard rounded the Princeton defense and shot from close in. At 15:11 Hubbard carried across the Tiger blue-line and passed off to Greeley, who fired the marker that set up Weeden's game-winning effort.

A total of only four penalties were called, two on each team, in the crowd-pleasing contest that reached its feverish climax late in the final period. Cole had 25 saves and Corning 19.