Bingham Honored by Scroll From Athletic Department

Members of the Athletic Association paid tribute to their retiring director, WilRam J. Bingham '16, in a private, surprise Germany at noon yesterday.

Crew coach Tom Bolles gave Bingham a scroll, singed by all the 34 staff members. The scroll measures 10 1/2 by 14 inches, is on parchment lettered in Old English and reads:

"For his countless contributions to his Alma Mater, we, the members of the Harvard Athletic Staff, express our deepest respect, admiration, and affection for William J. Bingham.

"With truth as his guide throughout a lengthy and colorful career, he has worked devoutly for high standards in amateur sport and for the ethics which have kept athletics important in the academic world.

"Uncompromising in his vigilance over these ethics, which he helped to create, his high personal and professional standards as a leader have been a stabilizing and valuable influences internationally.

"For all these, together with his loyalty, personal interest, confidence, and help, we extend our appreciation, and salute Bill as a man, a willing counselor, and, most of all, a friend."

The committee which made the presentation was headed by Bolles.