Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Former Harvard President Bacow, Maria Ressa to Receive Honorary Degrees at Commencement

‘A’ Game: How Harvard Recruits its Student-Athletes

Interim Harvard President Alan Garber Takes the Political Battle to Washington

Council Modifies Proposals To Watson on Easing Rules

The Student Council last night voted to submit modified proposals to Associate Dean Watson for easing restrictions on undergraduate organizations. It decided, after four hours of debate, not to include three of their previous proposals in the recommendations.

One rule--requiring organizations to submit membership lists to the Dean's Office--was tabled on a motion by Carl M. Sapers '53. Previously, a committee which formulated arguments concerning the regulations suggested that, to protect radical groups, the rule be discarded or else require the Dean to destroy the lists each year.

In accepting two of Watson's rules which the committee had opposed, the Council decided that further recommendations would be unnecessary. These were the requirement that members of University organizations be limited to undergraduates and that new groups submit evidence of their financial soundness.

Saul I. Skoler '53, chairman of the committee, in opposing the first ruling suggested that the clause "Radcliffe Deans forbid Radcliffe participation in Harvard Organizations" be added to elucidate the rule. He suggested the second be omitted since it would discriminate between the old and new organizations.

Four of the rules which the Council opposed were: 1.) No groups shall appear on a commercially sponsored radio or TV program; 2.) groups must obtain permission of the Dean to use University buildings; 3.) groups cannot hold meetings in the Yard without University permission; and, 4.) new publications must file a description of content and policy with the Dean's Office.

Rules which the Council voted it would accept were: 1.) admission fees are permissable only for supporting an organization; 2.) groups taking part in public performances must obtain prior permission of the Dean's Office; 3.) women guests should not enter the premises of undergraduate organizations without special permission of the Dean.