Uncle Sam and the Forty Thieves

The United States has never had much of a policy in the Near East. The State Department has recognized governments just escaped from colonial status as well as supporting the status quo; it has backed a democratic-socialist government like Israel's as well as corrupt oligarchical monarchy like Iran's.

The criterion for support seems to be merely the country's attitude toward Communism and what it has to offer the West. Oil-rich Iran proved itself anti-Communist back in 1946 when it resisted Russian attempts to grab some of its territory; so it seemed a fine idea for the United States to send money and experts there. But in deciding to lend an unqualified helping hand to Iran, this country found itself supporting a corrupt and unpopular government, one which consistently ignored the social and economic wretchedness of its people. For this hasty action the United States was bound to pay a price.

That price has been in American prestige. The good will created by generations of American missionaries and educational institutions has recently toppled, and many Iranians, especially students, have adopted the Russian point of view. When North Koreans were defeating the Western "imperialists," Iranians were jubilant. Even the country's leaders, who have the most to gain from American support, have found it more expedient to muffle discontent at home by a rabid nationalism aimed against the United States and Great Britain. America's attempts to raise the Iranian living standard failed because no agreement could be reached with corrupt and extravagant local officials.

The latest instalment on our political debt came two weeks ago with a rumpus which left pro-American Premier Razmara dead, the Anglo-Iranian Oil Company almost nationalized, and Iranian nationalism more rabid than ever. The United States policy of supporting any government that opposed Communism had backfired completely.

The coalition of G.O.P. generals and Southern colonels in the Senate does not seem to have taken notice of the Iranian fiasco; at least those Senators haven't had much to say. But before they plunge on in their crusade to rethrone Chiang and to strengthen Franco, they might well reconsider the danger, pointed up in Iran, of injecting money, arms, and hope into a government without popular support.