7-Year Law Program Stays; Changes May Be Considered

The Seven Year Law program, long under attack, will continue to exist, Charles R. Cherington, associate professor of Government and chairman of a special committee on the program, announced last night.

Cherington's committee had been debating the wisdom of maintaining the program, especially during the national emergency, for several months before reaching a decision early this week.

Only men providing the "very clearest showing of exemption from military service during the calculable future" will gain admission to the program, however, Cherington said.

This proviso resulted from one of the factors which had thrown the future life of the program into jeopardy: the possibility that a student in it might be drafted before having completed the seven year span.

In the near future, Cherington added yesterday, his committee will consider alternative integration programs between the Law School and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. They could make it possible for the seven year law student to do his last year of work in some place other than the College, which is the current practice. Liaison with the School of Public Administration is a possibility, Cherington said.