'54 Chooses Winthrop Over Lowell

Deacons Also Gain in Popularity as Yard Preferences Change

By David C. D. rogers

Twenty-three percent of the freshmen class picked Winthrop as their first choice when they handed in their House applications Thursday, a CRIMSON poll revealed last night. The previous poll (March 23) seemed to have influenced Yardlings, for former first place Lowell dropped to second choice.

Kirkland rose in popularity to tie Eliot for third place. Sixty-six freshmen or 16.3 percent, want to be Deacons. The Elephants gained percentage, however, with a rise from 13.8 percent to 16.3 percent. Leverett rose out of the collar position and took next to last place by a fraction of a percent. However, the Bunnies get 6.4 percent of the votes in March and only 4.9 percent yesterday.

The Bellboys lost the most votes. Before the March poll, 27.3 percent wanted to be in Lowell, but only 18.1 percent of the class applied. Dunster remained in fourth place, although 2.5 percent more men want to join the Funsters. Only 19 men, or 4.7 percent, want to live in the Gold Coast.

Truman's new Selective Service Test has calmed Yardling fears about being drafted before next fall. Only 23 men, or 5.7 percent, thought they would be called this summer, against 11.3 percent three weeks ago.

Second choices emphasized Winthrop and Kirkland's increased popularity, with the Puritans getting 82 votes (20.3 percent), and the Deacons 76 possible members, or 18.8 percent. Lowell, which came in third, and Winthrop tied for first in March.