Harvard Asks Housing Units Remain Intact

University Will Seek Extension Until Summer for Razing of Veterans' Housing Projects

University officials will go before the Cambridge Court of Appeals next Tuesday in an attempt to postpone until summer the City's destruction of the University veteran's housing projects, it was learned last night.

The prefabricated units were built in the spring of 1946, with a proviso by the City that they were to be torn down in five years. The deadline has passed, but the University and the American Veterans Committee want the units to stand until after the present term is over. This would give veterans now living in the houses a chance to find new quarters.

Buildings Mar Landscape

Some of the units have already been destroyed in compliance with the lease issued by the City Council in 1946, but 54 buildings still Temain standing. A spokesman for the Cambridge Housing Authority said that the tan, board buildings are a "smudge on the landscape of the City, as well as the University."

When contacted last evening, Roy Gootenberg 2 PA, member of the A.V.C. advisory board, said he had heard nothing about the City's proposal to tear down the temporary dwellings.

"We'll fight it down to the ground though," Gootenberg added. "It would be a dirty trick to put the veterans out now."

Charles C. Pyne, assistant to Administrative vice-President Reynolds, will represent the University. Although no University officials involved could be reached last night, Cambridge housing representatives did state that the request for postponement would probably be granted.