PBK Elects 8 New Members From Juniors

Phi Beta Kappa announced the election of eight juniors to its membership yesterday. Tow members were chosen from Adams, Kirkland, Eliot, and Lowell.

The newly elected members are:

Ronald Charles David Breslow of Rahway, New Jersey, and Lowell House; Peter Schuyler Brown of New York City, and Eliot House; Maurice Benjamin Burg of Newton Center, and Adams House; Paul Cecil Martin of Long Island City, New York and Kirkland House; Richard S. Palais of Brookline, and Kirkland House; Earl Cedric Ravenal of Providence, and Eliot House; Neil Joseph Smelser of Phoenix, Arizona, and Adams House; and Issac Thomas, Jr., of Pottstown, Pennsylvania, and Lowell House.

The election committee, composed of faculty members, graduate, and undergraduate Phi Beta Kappas, consider the undergraduate candidates on both their intellectual and extra-curricular achievements. An excellent academic record is imperative, however. A student has to be in among the top twelve in his class before he can even be considered for election to Phi Beta Kappa in his Junior year.

The Harvard chapter of the national honor society is the oldest in the country, celebrating its 170th anniversary this year.