Weak Rhode Island Meets Varsity Track Team Today

Rhode Island runners should spend a lot of time looking at the heels of Jaakko Mikkola's track men on soldiers Field this afternoon, where they meet the Crimson for the later's second meet of the season.

Only R. I.'s Al Wiley can hope to give the Mikkola men competition in the sprints. Wiley did 9.8 in the 100, and 21.5 in the 220 last week against Providence College.

All distances from the half mile up are handled by Larry McClay and Ray Lester for Rhode Island, and handled only fairly. Lester was in the Intercollegiate Cross Country run last fall, but failed to place.

Bob Mello, the Crimson's pole vaulter, might have some trouble with R.I.'s Bob Linney, however. Linney has come with in two inches of Mello's past record.

In the shot, Rhode Island's Ted Meyers and Al Garrity average 40 to 45 feet, while Mikkola's Jerry Kanter has done better than 47 consistently. Garrity also takes care of the discus with a best of 140 feet. The Crimson's Al Wilson averages 150.

Rhode Island coach Fred Tutel thinks his team is a little below par, but he still expects his boys to offer the Mikkola men "good competition."