50 Compete In Wellesley Bicycle Race

The Outing Club does not expect any tuxedo-clad contestants, like last year, when the group stages the 1951 Wellesley bike race on Sunday, May 6.

About 50 Harvard men will pedal 15.7 miles to win a bike and a kiss from a Wellesley girl after the annual event. The kiss has been frowned upon by the Wellesley administration in the past few years, but the Crimson is making every effort to keep the old tradition alive.

Last year a student competed in formal attire but rode most of the way in a moving van by a separate route. Shortly after he got out of the truck near the finish line, he became lost and so finished a disqualified 12th.

This year there will be checkers along the route to take down the cyclers numbers as they pass and prevent them from getting lost.

The Outing Club has set up a series of handicaps to give equal chances to balloon-tired, thin-tired, touring and racing bikes. The contest will start at 10 a.m.; afterwards the competitors will have a picnic and games with the Wellesley girls.

Last year, John Hart '52 won the race on an old balloon-tired bike with a time of 48 minutes.