Red Bills May Be Postponed To Next Year

Constitutional Law Committee Asks Longer Time to Study Red Bills Before Reporting

The state committee on constitutional law yesterday recommended to the legislature that all bills restricting the actions of "subversive" groups be put off until next year. Senator Silvio O. Conte, chairman of the committee, said this would give the committee time to study the bills thoroughly before reporting them to the legislature.

This would apply to the two bills that provoked wild hearings at the State House during committee hearings earlier this year. One bill would outlaw the Communist Party in this state, and another would impose stringent penalties for "subversive" actions and require loyalty oaths of teachers, state employees, and lawyers.

Verbal Battle

Earlier this week a bitter battle between Alfred Sprague Coolidge '15, lecturer on Chemistry, and state representative Edmond J. Donlan broke out on the subversives bill. It started after Coolidge charged that the committee "bulled and heckled witnesses like prisoners in a concentration camp." Donlan demanded Coolidge apologize to the committee. When the refused, the two began yelling at each other.

State House officials believe that the two bills will never come up again before the legislature in their present form. They think the bills will be filed anew next year.